Arriving at the restaurant
- Hello. Do you have a table for four?
- We haven't booked a table. Can you fit us in?
- We booked a table on the name of John Jonhson.
- Could we see the menu, please?
- Is this dish suitable for vegetarians/vegans?
- Does this dish contain any nuts?
- We’re ready to order now.
- I would like a glass of water, please.
Types of meals
|starter||The first course of the meal. Small portions of food, served either hot or cold. You might decide to skip this course if you are not very hungry.|
|main course||The main part of the meal. Medium to large portions of food, served either hot or cold. In the UK, main courses are usually served with vegetables.|
|side dish||A small portion of food. Typically bread, salad, or vegetables in sauce, that you eat with a main course. Side dishes are often shared with other people eating at your table.|
|dessert||The last course of a meal. Typically a sweet dish, such as cake, pudding or ice-cream.|
- Excuse me, I didn’t order this.
- Could I have another fork, please?
- Could you heat this up a bit more for me, please? It's a little cold.
When you have finished your meal
- That was delicious / lovely / great!
- Could we have the bill, please?
- Keep the change.