Having a conversation
How to offer/refuse something
- Would you like to take a picture of my friend and I?
- Yes, of course!
- No, sorry.
- Sorry, I didn't quite understand that.
- Can you repeat that, please?
- I didn't understand you.
On the phone
- Who is this, please?
- This is John speaking
- I’ve got the wrong number, sorry.
- Can I speak to Peter, please?
- Just a moment, please.
- Have a nice day.
How to ask/argue
- Can you explain that, please?
- Sorry to interrupt you.
- I don't agree with that.
Some useful tips
- Avoid controversial lines of conversations if you don’t know the people you’re talking to that well. (Brexit, religion, racism, homophobia and other politics)
- Always use please after a request and thank you when being helped.
- When talking to someone, try to make eye contact with them. That shows your interest.
- Do not talk loudly (nor on your phone) in a quiet public place (train, bus, library, …).