London is a city full of life. This often means that London holds some interesting and little known secrets. See if you were aware of any of these interesting tidbits about the city; then go to London and discover your very own London secret. London holds enough secrets for everyone.
1. More languages are spoken in London than in any other city in the world (270).
2. London was the first city ever to reach a population of more than one million, in 1811. It remained the largest city in the world until it was overtaken by Tokyo in 1957.
3. In the United Kingdom, cars drive on the other side of the road! Make sure to check the right side first when crossing the road.
4. Big Ben is actually the bell, not the clock. You can’t actually SEE Big Ben but you can hear him chime!
5. In 1945, a flock of starlings landed on the minute hand of Big Ben and put the time back by five minutes.
6. The City of London, the historic core and primary financial district of London, is often referred to as The City.
7. The London Underground, which is a public transit system in London, is also known as the Tube.
8. Among the many things Londoners have left on the Tube are a samurai sword, a human skull, and a coffin.
9. London is host to five Premier League (Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Tottenham Hotspur & Westham United) and four Championship League (Brentford, Fulham, Millwall & QPR) football clubs.